Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Don't forget the Sabbath


So, about 2 months ago, I was supposed to take some time off (4 days, I think), but on the second day, I couldn't resist the temptaion to check my voicemails...Big mistake!! I had forced myself to keep my phone off, and when I turned it on, I had a huge list of people to get back to...mostly work related. So, as a good workaholic (or busy bee), I decided to cut my time off and head back home.
By the way, I was at Santa Barbara...chillin on the beach, which is where I took this pic. Those 2 days were pretty relaxing, but the next day, after some work was done, I was pretty upset with myself for going back to work. At this rate, I'm not sure when I'll have a real vacation. Now, it may seem as though I'm just crying and complaining about working too much (or just staying busy), but in reality, a lesson was learned (or re-learned).
Moral of the story: God created the sabbath for man! God rested on the 7th day of creation. Did he need to? Was he just pooped and wiped out for having created the universe??? As enormous a task as that may seem, I seriously doubt God just had to get some rest because he'd be confined to bedrest if he didn't. I believe he was teaching us from the very beginning to take a sabbatical, be it a daily, weekly or yearly one. Mark Driscoll has some insights into this as well (Death by Ministry blog).
So anywasss, this is something I really need to implement and live by. I've seen many a people get burned out in ministry, or burn their families out. Gotta live vicariously and deal with this now and not wait until the family is at the boiling point...when I have a family, that is. :)
Anywho, just my thoughts on the sabbath and how it can relate us.

No comments: