Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Golden Compass (part 2)

Well, I ended up seeing it earlier this week, and I can totally see how some may be offended with it. There's definitely an undercurrent of anti-Christian themes.
For instance, the following are some of those:

· There are many universes and parallel worlds that are connected somehow (will be explained more in the 2 upcoming movies)
· In this particular world, each human has their own personal demon (opposite sex)
· The church is viewed as a sinister, truth-blockading institution
· The golden compass itself is some kind of truth-telling device, which seems to mirror the ouija or tarot cards

There are some other things as well, but I'm just gonna end there. I'm still not threatened by this (myself), but it can definitely be a tool to further unfocus children from real Truth.
Man, gotta focus a lot harder on reaching children for the kingdom!

5 comments:

DawnD said...

I saw this movie this weekend too.
I didn't think it was much more than a boring movie. I didn't read into hype of the anti-christian stuff, and went with no expectations. I was still let down. I would not recommend this movie to kids though; as there were many scary-jump-out-of-your-seat-moments. (You know you did Nate. :) )
It was slow. I think that had there not been a lot of published hype from christians before hand, not many people would have picked up on any underlying anti-church message.
I'd let my kids see this movie over Shrek II anyday.

Nate said...

I liked the interaction between cgi/animation and "real life" in the movie, but other than that, I would prefer Shrek 1 or 2 over this one...not 3 so much (...for 'my kids'). ;)

DawnD said...

really? Shrek II had way more "adult content" than I or III. xx

Nate said...

Actually, I don't remember too much of the content on Shrek 2...or 1 or 3. But from what I can remember, you're right, it does have some "adult" content as well.
Actually, both The Golden Compass and Shrek have content that tends to be understood more by adults than children.

Did you think that TGC had some anti-Christian undercurrents?

DawnD said...

Eh, yes I did think TGC had some "anti-Christian undercurrents". BUT, I think that without the hype, I nor the majority of its viewers would have noticed. I think that without the hype, the Christian viewers would not have known the author's beliefs and wouldn't have had a problem with it, other than it being a somewhat dull movie.
Judging the film, solely on the film, without negative hype and author's background, I think I could come up with a list of other movies that are widely accepted by Christians, that are much more offensive.