Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Brett Favre retires

After watching number 4 for sixteen years, he retires today. It is definitely the end of an era. I initially rooted against him and his Packers because they were quite the opponent to my beloved 49ers, but never could I undermine Favre's ability on and off of the field. He was known as a fierce and unswerving competitor, overcoming obstacles on the field, like hard hits, ever-changing defenses, concussions, fractures, arthritic conditions, separated shoulders, etc. He was the Packers' leader, especially with his no-die/no-quitting attitude.

Off the field, he had the same attitude...but with life. He had to overcome obstacles, like his father dying the day (or a couple days) before Monday Night Football and still playing like a champ with several TD's (4, I think) that night. Or like finding out his wife had been diagnosed with breast cancer. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe he even considered leaving the game when he found out about Deanna's (his wife) condition.

I hate to see Favre leave the game, especially after I rooted for him to go all the way to the superbowl once the playoffs began this last season...and he didn't get the ring, despite coming so close. However, he will be forever remembered as a champion...as football's iron man. We will miss you, Brett...

2 comments:

Terrace Crawford said...

No doubt one of the best...

Nate said...

Definitely....and I'm not even a Packers fan!
Thanks for stopping by.